MOST VIEWS OF AMEDI
Amedi is a city on a hilltop with waterfalls cascading down and rising historic paths. It was the center of the Badinan Emirate, Visit this ancient city to take a step through thousands of years of history, with a population of approximately 11753.
Amedi is a small, beautiful town built on a mountain plateau.
The well-known waterfall lies 3 km north of Amedi.
Amedi is home to several historic sites. The Old Gate lies to the west
of the Citadel and the Old Mosque is at the center of the town.
Mosque of Amedi
The historic Church of Saint George was converted
into a mosque in the mid 12th century.
Amedi is a small and beautiful town perched on the plateau at the top of a mountain. Built over 1,000 years ago and is still home to 5,000 inhabitants.It is situated 90 km northeast of Duhok city. Many of the houses in Amediya were built using elements of the town’s original stonework and are arranged in a ring shape in the form of a citadel. There are many ancient sites inside the town, including an ancient mosque that is still in use by the townspeople, and the town’s Old Gate that was used for centuries before the car-friendly road was built into the town. The Minaret, the Dome, and the Zoroastrian’s Gate are also worth a visit.
The well-known waterfall lies 3 km north of Amedi. Ice-cold water flows down from the mountain, into a tree-lined valley, making it a perfect place to visit in the warmer seasons.
Amedi is home to several historic sites. The Old Gate lies to the west of the Citadel and the Old Mosque is at the center of the town. The Minaret, the Dome and the Zoroastrain Gate are also worth a visit. For centuries, Amedi was the capital of the Badinan Emirate, until the end of the Ottoman Empire, and the tombs of some Emirs are still located inside the town
Mosque of Amedi
The historic Church of Saint George was converted into a mosque in the mid 12th century. Nonetheless, the original church architecture persists in the nave, arcades, and side-aisles which are on an axis away from Mecca. It is believed that the church itself was also a convert from an earlier pre-Christian temple, which is possible due to the location and the position of the floor at well over a meter below the modern-day ground level.
The minaret was built in the 16th century by Badini Emir Sultan Hussein Wali (1534-1570 CE). At the height of 33 meters, it towers over the mosque and indeed the whole city. It is said the imam will open the minaret to visitors to climb to the top.
MOST VIEWS OF SARSING
Sarsing is a town located in the province of Duhok. It is supposedly considered as a touristic place at least in the eyes of Ministry of Tourism of Iraqi Kurdistan Regional government, with a population of approximately 28353.
Sarsing, a tourist town north Gara Mountain, is 54 km from Duhok city, in the vicinity of other tourist towns, including Ashawa, Anishki, and Solav. Sarsing is surrounded by mountains and trees, while local hotels, motels, restaurants, and a large market cater to visitors’ needs. The town is also home to castle built by King Faysal I, which is open to visitors.
HISTORY OF SARSING
The village of Sarsing or Sarsink was founded when 26 Assyrian families from the Hakkari region of Turkey who survived the Assyrian Genocide settled here between the years of 1916-1921. After settling here a number of projects were initiated, with both the first school opening and a new church being built in 1928. The School was founded by Qasha Odisho, son of Qasha Zacharia Lazar. The name of the school was “The Assyrian Private School of Sarsing”, and the primary language of instruction was Arabic, as well as Syriac and English. The languages were taught starting from first and second grades respectively. The church was built in 1928 to replace the old one that was built in 1922 with a bigger one. However, During the process of laying new foundations of the new church several pieces of antiques were found. Among these pieces were a cross surrounded by circles sculptured on a stone, and a stony basin used for baptism and a bronze cutter. The Church therefore gained even more importance, and the towns existence Christian history was therefore much older than they once thought.
In 1932 a highway was built passing through Sarsing to and from Duhok and Amadiya. This project gave Sarsing a vital and important position in the region and it offered its residents more access to various daily services.
Swaratuka is a beautiful resort situated 32 km east of Duhok city. It is 1,075 meters above sea level in a leafy , green area. Its mountain views are stunning and the air is fresh and cool. Swaratuka offers many facilities, including a restaurant, rest places, and a cafe.